This article will provide you with further context as to which need statuses to select when responding to the referral to your project.
This is best read as a continuation of the Contact Protocol article.
- Referral Need Status Webinar
- What is a Referral Need Status?
- Need Statuses NOT used for Coordinated Entry
- Identified / In Progress / Closed and Met / Closed and Unmet
- Common Client Need Statuses
- Awaiting Response by Housing Provider / Attempted Contact / Client Engaged: Housing Navigation Needed / Enrolled / Housed / Vouchered: Eligibility Confirmed and Awaiting Unit
- Rematch Need Statuses
- Client Engaged, Unit no longer available / Cook County Jail or Juvenile Detention Center / Client Declined to participate (specify in notes) / Client Declined: Geography / Client Declined: Site-Based Youth TH / Client Declined: Traditional SRO / Ineligible: Age / Ineligible: Criminal Background / Ineligible: Household Composition / Ineligible: Income Issue / Ineligible: Not experiencing homelessness / Ineligible: Not experiencing CH / Client located but not engaged in housing process / Not approved for or received voucher / Not able to contact client / Not living in Chicago / Veteran Status: Not a Veteran / Veteran Status: Not VHA Eligible / Other (specify in notes)
- Internal CES Statuses - Not for general use
- CES Team Only: Matched for Assessment / CES Team Only: System Navigation Matched/Assigned / Outreach Team Only: Attempted Contact for Assessment / Outreach Team Only: Not able to assess / Outreach Team Only: Other (specify in notes) / CES Team Only: Individual or household returned to homelessness
- Need Statuses NOT used for Coordinated Entry
Pre-recorded Referral Need Status Webinar
This webinar was recorded on August 24th, 2018.
What is a Referral Need Status?
A “match” from the By Name List (One List) is made to an identified housing project via a referral in HMIS. The referrals are used to track the housing project’s progress in contacting the individual or household, completing an intake, entering the individual or household into the program, and ultimately, helping them secure permanent housing. The match is made with the initial status designated as “CES: Matched: Awaiting response by Housing Provider”. The status should be updated to reflect the individual or household’s significant progress towards housing (or lack thereof).
Referral Need Status Glossary
Need Statuses NOT used for Coordinated Entry
- In Progress
- Closed and Met
- Closed and Unmet
Common Client Need Statuses
- Matched: Awaiting response by housing provider
- The initial referral (match) is made with the designation. This status must be updated by the housing project within two business days of receipt of the referral. The continuation of this status past this two-day period indicates that the housing project has not responded appropriately to the referral and more information is needed from the project.
- Attempted Contact
- Housing providers are required to update referrals within two business days of their receipt. Providers will select this option to demonstrate that they have received the referral and are in the initial stage of outreach toward the household.
- Client Engaged, Housing System Navigation Needed
- PSH providers that have located a household and need additional support for the household to be able to attend an intake or other housing related appointment/s due to the household facing significant barriers. The household must be thought to be facing chronic homelessness and can be located.
- This status applies to a client who has met the eligibility of a housing provider, and is has accepted a providers offer to house them.
- A client is only considered housed when they have actually slept in their offered unit. This does not apply to a client who has a future lease date - the client physically has to have slept in a unit.
- Vouchered: Eligibility confirmed and awaiting unit
- Household is eligible for and enrolled in the housing program, has been approved for a CHA voucher, and is working towards moving into a unit such as locating a unit, the inspection process, and any other part of the process prior to move-in.
- JBVAMC Only: Housed with VASH
- Jesse Brown VA has housed this participant within the HUD VASH program.
Rematch Need Statuses
- Rematch Needed: Client Engaged, Unit no longer available
- After receiving more than one match per opening, housing providers should use this status if a household was reached but not housed due to not having a unit available.
- Rematch Needed: Cook County Jail or Juvenile Detention Center
- Rematch Needed: Client Declined to participate (specify in notes)
- Rematch Needed: Client Declined: Geography
- When a household declines based on the side of the City, select this option and add any additional details in the notes. The household’s assessment will be updated to reflect this decision.
- Rematch Needed: Client Declined: Site-Based Youth TH
- A youth declines project based Youth Transitional Housing. The household’s assessment will be updated to reflect this decision.
- Rematch Needed: Client Declined: Traditional SRO
- A household declined housing with shared bathrooms and/or kitchens. The household’s assessment will be updated to reflect this decision.
- Rematch Needed: Ineligible: Age
- If the household is outside of the range of your housing program such as a Youth TH project, please use this status and check with All Chicago about your eligibility criteria by e-mailing ChicagoCES@allchicago.org.
- Rematch Needed: Ineligible: Criminal Background
- Please use this option when the matter is related to the criminal background of the participant but not related to being denied a voucher by CHA. Notes are required.
- Rematch Needed: Ineligible: Household Composition
- Please share if the household size caused the need for this re-match, including if you are declining the household due to the head of household not having custody of their children at this time.
- Rematch Needed: Ineligible: Income Issue
- If the household earns over the project’s maximum income or under the project’s minimum income, please use this status and add a note to share the specific eligibility criteria not met related to income.
- Rematch Needed: Ineligible: Not experiencing homelessness
- This status refers to literal homelessness and should be used when it is determined that the household is not staying in a place not meant for human habitation, emergency shelter or safe haven model.
- Rematch Needed: Ineligible: Not experiencing CH
- If the household does not meet either or both parts of the chronic definition (length of homelessness and presence of a disability), use this status after uploading the Chronic Verification Packet into the household’s HMIS profile.
- Rematch Needed: Client located but not engaged in housing process
- The household is in communication though it is apparent that they are not likely to follow through with the necessary steps to be accepted into and move into housing. If this is a PSH project and it is clear that the household requires additional support to follow through, instead of using this option please use: Housing: Client Engaged, Housing System Navigation Needed.
- Rematch Needed: Not approved for or received voucher
- In cases where a person cannot move into a housing program without being approved for a CHA voucher, please select this option after the household has been denied the voucher.
- Rematch Needed: Not able to contact client
- The status should be selected following a provider’s prolonged attempt to successfully contact the Individual or household via phone, email, emergency contact, and current housing provider.
- Rematch Needed: Not living in Chicago
- Households outside of Chicago are removed from the Chicago by name registry called the One List that is used for matching, so this update ensures the household will not be matched again until a Chicago HMIS update corrects this if the household returns.
- Rematch Needed: Veteran Status: Not a Veteran
- Projects that can only house Veterans should use this update in cases where the person’s Veteran status is verified as such.
- Rematch Needed: Veteran Status: Not VHA Eligible
- Jesse Brown VA should use this to indicate a Veteran is not eligible for VA healthcare and therefore not eligible for the HUD VASH program.
- Rematch Needed: Other (specify in notes)
- If no other rematch option is appropriate, please use this option and add in a note to share the reasoning for requiring a re-match. Notes are required.
Internal Need Statuses
- CES Team Only: Matched for Assessment
- CE Leads match households to providers for the purpose of assessment.
- CES Team Only: System Navigation Matched/Assigned
- CE Leads match households to Housing System Navigators for the purpose of providing navigation.
- Outreach Team Only: Attempted Contact for Assessment
- Outreach providers are required to update referrals within two business days of their receipt. Providers will select this option to demonstrate that they have received the referral and are in the initial stage of outreach toward the household.
- Outreach Team Only: Not able to assess
- Outreach team was not able to assess the household due to not being able to locate the participant.
- Outreach Team Only: Other (specify in notes)
- CES Team Only: Individual or household returned to homelessness