The Pre-Point in Time Count will take place on December 7th, 2021. This year we will continue to identify projects with accurate HMIS shelter data. Projects that are identified with accurate data will only be required to complete the HMIS shelter count during the official PIT. Projects that are identified with data inaccuracies will be required to complete both, the tally count and the HMIS shelter count during the official PIT (January 27th, 2022).
Any agencies that operate the following project types are requested to participate and update their ShelterPoint lists to reflect clients checked in for that night:
- Emergency Shelter
- Transitional Housing
- Safe Haven (project type, not agency)
- Interim Housing (though most of these projects have been changed to be either ES or TH)
*PH/PSH/RRH projects do not need to participate in the pre-PIT/PIT process, though they do participate in the Housing Inventory Count (HIC).
These projects are asked to check in any clients staying that night into their ShelterPoint list before 11:59 pm Tuesday, Dec. 7th. This means checking in clients that are new or checking out clients that have long since exited your project.
Objectives and Data Entry Expectations: Ensure that your ShelterPoint unit lists also reflect the number of clients that are currently enrolled in your project. All Chicago will compare the number of clients that entered your project versus those checked into your ShelterPoint unit list. In short, please do the following:
- Review the clients currently checked into your ShelterPoint unit list
- Review the clients currently enrolled in your project
- Verify All Clients ENROLLED in your project and OCCUPYING a bed are added to ShelterPoint
- Ensure demographic data is complete in the client's Entry Assessment
Since it takes a day to view any updates in ServicePoint, All Chicago will then pull a ShelterPoint report the following day and email agencies their results the week after. While the report is generated on Wednesday, December 8th, it is effectively using the count from Tuesday, December 7th.
Below are dates to observe:
Tuesday, November 16th
|All Chicago sends out notification to agencies informing them of the Pre-PIT|
Monday, November 29th
|All Chicago sends out reminder notification to agencies informing them of the Pre-PIT|
Monday, December 6th
All Chicago sends out reminder notification to agencies informing them of the Pre-PIT
Tuesday, December 7th
Agencies must ensure clients enrolled and occupying a bed are the only clients entered/checked into ShelterPoint.
Agencies must ensure demographic data is complete in the Entry Assessment for all clients enrolled in the project.
Again, all clients must be checked in to your unit list and enrolled into your project by Dec 7th at 11:59 pm to be counted in the Pre-PIT
Wednesday, December 8th
|All Chicago will run a ShelterPoint List report to identify clients that were checked in to your shelter list and enrolled in your project on December 7th.|
Monday, December 13th
|All Chicago will be sending the results to agencies ATA via email. The email will contain an Excel file per project that participates in the Pre-PIT. The results will be located on the Providers Details tab.|
The Point in Time Training course is now available to complete by anyone at your agency via the HMIS Talent site. We recommend having at least one staff member complete the course before the Pre-PIT date of December 7, 2021. The course will cover the history of the PIT count in Chicago and the reason it's completed every year. The course will also go over in detail how to check in a single client and/or a family onto your unit list.
Point in Time Count Training
- For people with an account in TalentLMS, log in and click this link:
- If you have no account in TalentLMS: https://allchicago.talentlms.com/shared/start/key:EQENHRKM
All Chicago’s HMIS Helpdesk has resources for how to check-in/check-out clients in ShelterPoint:
- Creating/Editing Unit Lists
- Review your current unit lists and compare numbers with the actual bed count
- Request a change to a unit list (please be specific using the correct forms)
- To view the current unit list for your project in Service Point, please visit our Unit List Helpdesk Article.
- ShelterPoint Guide
- New or returning to ShelterPoint? This guide is for you.
- Learn all actions to manage client assignments to beds in ShelterPoint
For any questions and updates about the Pre-PIT Count please contact the Help Desk by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.