One of the most significant changes included in this year’s Data Standards update is the revision to the Gender field. On October 1, WellSky will automatically map the Gender field as described below.
Currently, the Gender field allows the user to select one of the following eight options:
To capture information that accurately describes the client’s self-identification, HUD is making two important changes to this field:
- The responses will reflect greater inclusivity:
- “Trans Female” and “Trans Male” responses are being replaced with a single “Trans” response.
- “Gender Non-Conforming” response is being replaced with “A gender other than singularly female or male (e.g., non-binary, genderfluid, agender, culturally specific gender).”
- “Questioning” response is being added.
- Users will now be able to select up to five responses from the list, with the following exceptions:
- "Client doesn't know," "Client refused," and "Data not collected" are explanations for missing data; they cannot be selected in conjunction with any of the other responses. Selecting any of these three responses will deselect any other responses.
- “Questioning,” which indicates that the client is discovering and exploring their gender identity and/or gender expression, cannot be selected in conjunction with “Client doesn’t know.”
The overall view of the gender field is now a multi-select picklist field instead of a dropdown. In any area where users could select a value, this dropdown is now a picklist window.
When in an assessment, the field will appear as below:
Answer Only View
Gender will display within the existing columns and rows. It may display with commas, in multiple rows, or in notepad form. Multiple responses will be shown with a comma between each response. Below is an example screen from the Client Profile tab:
In several areas the responses will be shown as multiple rows, such as on the Summary tab:
In several areas, WellSky has converted the Gender responses from a quick preview display to a notepad hover icon. For example, the Client Results within Client Search:
In another example, ShelterPoint displays the full Gender response with commas in the column in the Unit List, while the Reservation and Outstanding Referrals utilize the notepad hover icon:
When first encountering the field, all values are selectable.
Conditional logic is applied once selections are made:
- To make multiple selections, hold the Control (Ctrl) key and left-click each value as necessary. It will display as a blue highlight.
- Once saved, it will display with a grey highlight.
- To clear selections, use the “Clear All” button under the Gender picklist box. Left-clicking the picklist value again with the Ctrl key can also deselect the value.
- Client Doesn’t Know, Client Refused and Data Not Collected are explanations for missing client data and not Gender responses. If one of these three picklist values are chosen, then the other possible picklist values are disabled (they appear grey and cannot be selected).
- Below – A known Gender response was selected, nullifying the Client Doesn’t Know, Client Refused and Data Not Collected choices.
- Below –If Client Doesn’t Know, Client Refused or Data Not Collected are chosen, all other values are disabled.
The history view of the Gender responses also reflects recent changes, showing commas for multiple responses.
The column also scales based on the number of values selected and if the pop-up is expanded.